Friday, May 10, 2013

It's NOT all about me???


This verse, Matthew 16:24, has been on my mind a lot lately. "Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Woah. Deny himself. It seems that is a pretty unpopular opinion these days. We live in a very self-centered "Me" generation. Almost every immoral thing in society can be traced back to not denying oneself.

I, too, struggle with this from time to time. However, I find when I put my selfish wants aside and do something for someone else...take a little time to focus on others...it brings me joy.

I am a very routine person. I have a certain way of doing things, and I don't like to have that changed. I find when something comes up that makes me step out of my "comfort zone", I get upset about it. I don't want to deny myself the comfort of my routine. A little boy at our church used to sing a very simple song..

J-O-Y
J-O-Y
This is what it means...
Jesus first
Yourself last
And Others in between.

I'm sure that is a very simple formula for JOY, if we can only make ourselves adhere to it. Deny ourselves...a little time, a little comfort, a little money. There are many ways to put others first. Jesus didn't call us to be leaders...he called us to be servants. So simple to say...so hard to do.

Just a few thoughts from my heart...to yours. May your day be blessed and your heart be happy.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, so hard to do:) You always give me something to think about...you are so inspiring!!!

    ~~Renee

    ReplyDelete